(Mobile users scroll down for more content)
Providing a strong and active voice for a voluntary membership of over 77,000,
the Retired Teachers of Ontario is a full-service organization offering:
• Pension support
• Bilingual services
• Advocacy on social, political and economic issues
• Group travel programs
Your Future with RTO/ERO offers Membership Choices!
• Full Membership
(Teacher, school and board administrators):
$1.20 per $1,000 of gross pension, deducted annually by the Ontario Teachers' Pension plan.
or . . .
• Associate Membership
(educational support staff, university and college faculty):
Contact us for fees.
• Communication from both Provincial and District levels
• After more than 40 years, RTO/ERO continues to provide service to members who range in age from 50 to over 100.
• RTO/ERO is the only organization with representation from elementary, secondary, public, Catholic and francophone schools.
• We also welcome college and university faculty, and educational support staff from schools and school boards.
• Most RTO/ERO members live in Ontario and are affiliated with one of 47 Districts into which the organization is divided, including two Districts in British Columbia.
• At the District level, members participate in social, travel and leisure opportunities, political advocacy and District Executive leadership roles.
• At the Provincial level, members are actively involved in the Senate (the governing body of RTO/ERO), the Provincial Executive and several committees.
Benefits of Membership
• Comprehensive, competitive and affordable Extended Health, Semi-Private Hospital and Dental Plans
• Plans offered independently, with single, couple or family coverage
• The largest Canadian retired educator health plan covering over 68,000 members and their dependents
• Our Plan is owned and managed by RTO/ERO members and available only to members
• Plan highlights: direct payment to pharmacies; electronic submission of dental claims; direct deposit of claim payments; paramedical practitioner services; vision care; home care; and travel coverage while outside of province and country
• District structure across Ontario, and two Districts in British Columbia
• Social and networking opportunities including luncheons, dinners, meetings and guest speakers; recreational activities such as golf and bridge tournaments; travel to theatre and sporting events
• Provincial committees, Senate, workshops, online discussion forums
• Monitoring of pension legislation, comments on proposed changes and recommends improvements for retired teachers, when appropriate
• Participation in regular discussions with the Ontario Teachers' Federation (OTF)
• Voting member on the OTF Pension and Pension Negotiations Committees, representing members in pension negotiations with the Provincial Government
• Provincially, committees and staff lobby all levels of government on issues of concern to educators and retirees, including health care, support for active teachers and publicly-funded education, seniors' issues, and the environment
• Locally, members organize meetings and lobby local MPs and MPPs
• RTO/ERO publishes a national award-winning quarterly magazine, Renaissance, for all members, and monthly newsletters for Provincial and District leaders
• Over 50 Fact Sheets on social, health, legal and financial matters of interest to retirees are available to members
• Tax Tips and Pocket Calendars are produced annually
• Professionally designed provincial public and members' only websites
• District websites supported by provincial technical assistance
SERVICE TO OTHERS
• Community outreach through Project – Service to Others, a $100,000 grant program for Districts to support local community projects
• Scholarships for members' relatives actively seeking a career in teaching
• Provincial charitable donations policy
ASSISTANCE AND SUPPORT
• Provincial Emergency Assistance Program
• District Goodwill Committees – rides to appointments, banking, social events and compassionate support
• Members travel the world with specially designed cruises and tours at discounted rates
• Professionally designed exclusive travel packages for our members
• Resource and expertise collaboration with provincial and national organizations to improve the quality of life for retirees (e.g. CARP, The Canadian Association of Retired Teachers (ACER/CART), the Ontario Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (ONPEA), the Ontario Retirement Communities Association (ORCA); provincial teacher affiliates, and trustee, supervisory officer and principals' organizations)